Advantages of Data Fragmentation / What are the advantages of fragmentation in distributed database management systems?
Advantages of Fragmentation
- Parallelized execution of queries by different sites is possible. A query can be divided into several sub-queries and can be executed simultaneously at several sites.
- A database is fragmented and fragments are made available at different sites. It reduces disk space utilization considerably.
- Data management is easy as fragments are smaller compare to the complete database.
- Increased availability of data to the users/queries that are local to the site in which the data stored.
- Most of the applications work with views rather than entire relations; hence in terms of usage, fragmentation is advantageous.
- As the data is available close to the place where it is mostly frequently used, the efficiency of the system in terms of query processing, transaction processing is increased.
- Data that are not required by local applications are not stored locally. It leads to reduced data transfer between sites, and increased security.