Normal Forms – Basic Rules and Solutions
- All the attributes of the relation are atomic (indivisible into meaningful sub parts),
- Every attribute contains single value (per record).
How to convert un-normalized table into 1NF normalized table?
- At the first place the table is in 1NF,
- All the non-key attributes of the table are fully functionally dependent on the Primary key of the table.
How to convert un-normalized or 1NF table into 2NF normalized table?
- The table is in 2NF,
- There is no Functional Dependency such that both Left Hand Side and Right Hand Side attributes of the FD are non-key attributes. In other words, no transitive dependency is allowed.
How to convert un-normalized or 2NF table into 3NF normalized table?
A relation schema R is in BCNF if an only if,
- The table is in 3NF
- For all the non-trivial FDs held on R, the left hand side of those non-trivial FDs must be Candidate Keys.