CP 7202 Advanced Databases question paper – May/June 2015
CP 7202 Advanced Databases question paper – May/June 2015 / Anna University Previous Year Exam Questions / Anna University Previous Year M.E. M.Tech. Computer Science and Engineering and Information Technology Question Papers
Question Paper Code : 43299
M.E./M.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, MAY/JUNE 2015
Computer Science and Engineering
CP 7202 — ADVANCED DATABASES
(Common to M.E. Computer Science and Engineering (with Specialization in Networks) and M.Tech. Information Technology)
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. What are the limitations of client server architecture?
2. Differentiate between Inter-query and Intra-query parallelism.
3. How persistent objects are maintained in object oriented databases?
4. What is object relational database management systems?
5. Write the syntax and semantics of Datalog languages.
6. How to represent time in temporal databases and compare the different time dimensions.
7. Why do we need multimedia databases? List its advantages and disadvantages.
8. State the problems that would occur if transactions are allowed to execute concurrently.
9. What is native XML database? Give example.
10. Mention the components of cloud storage system.
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Explain the key properties which are used to measure the parallel database system performance. (8)
(ii) Discuss the different architectures for parallel databases. (8)
(b) (i) Explain the steps involved in processing a query with suitable example. (8)
(ii) Compare and contrast the following pairs in distributed database; (4 + 4)
(2) Vertical and Horizontal partitioning.
12. (a) (i) Explain object identity and reference types with example. (8)
(ii) How does the concept of a object in the object oriented model differ from the concept of an ER model? (8)
(b) (i) Discuss the structure and various operation of object oriented database. (8)
(ii) Explain the concept of ODMG model win example. (8)
13. (a) Explain how to identify an active and deductive databases with an example. (16)
(b) Explain spatial data management. Discuss the various indexing techniques of spatial data management. (16)
14. (a) (i) Give a brief note on the design and implementation issues in mobile databases. (8)
(ii) Distinguish location dependent and location independent query with an example. (8)
(b) (i) Consider a data warehouse consists of four dimensions date, spectator, location and game and the two measures count and charge. The charge is the fare where the spectator pays when watching a game on a given date, spectator may be students, adults or seniors. Each category is having its own charge rate. Draw a star schema for the data warehouse and explain how many cuboids are needed to build the data cube? (8)
(ii) Describe the task primitives and issues in text mining. (8)
15. (a) (i) Discuss the different approaches for storing XML documents in databases. (8)
(ii) Describe the web based architecture with suitable example. (8)
(b) (i) Explain the concept of Geographic Information Systems. (8)
(ii) Describe the characteristics of cloud computing environment. (8)