List the disadvantages of OODBMS / What are the disadvantages of OODBMS?
Disadvantages of Object Oriented DBMSs (OODBMS)
- Lack of universal data model and lack of standards – there is no universally agreed model for OODBMS.
- Lack of experience – not easy for an end user. We need programmers to interact.
- Competition – Object Relational DBMS (ORDBMS) are much more easier to use and capable of providing object facility to the end user.
- Query optimization compromises encapsulation – The query optimization process requires complete understanding about the database in terms of table information and size etc. Hence, we need to compromise encapsulation (encapsulation is a language mechanism for restricting access to some of the object's components).
- Locking at object level may impact performance
- Complexity – OODBMS concept implementation is complex.
- Lack of support for views – no support for views manipulation
- Lack of support for security
- Poor performance – query optimization for OODBMS is complex.
- Unable to support large-scale systems – scalability issue.