TOPICS (Click to Navigate)
Friday, 1 August 2014
CS1301 Database Management Systems Fifth Semester Question May/June 2014
Question Paper Code : 53314
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, MAY/JUNE 2014.
Computer Science and Engineering
CS 1301/CS 1254/070230034 — DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
(Common to Information Technology)
(Common to B.E. (Part-Time) Fourth Semester, Regulation 2005)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
1. With a relevant example state ternary relationship.
2. Define the term primary key. Give an example.
3. State the differences between security and integrity.
4. What is decomposition and how does it address redundancy?
5. What is heap file?
6. When is it preferable to use a dense index rather than a sparse index?
7. List out the ACID properties.
8. What is shadow paging?
9. What is the need for complex data types?
10. What is data mining?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 marks)
11. (a) Discuss in detail about basic relational-algebra operations with suitable examples. (16)
(b) Design an E-R diagram for a hospital management system. Assume your own constraints and data requirements. (16)
12. (a) (i) Consider the Employee database, where the primary key are underlined;
Employee(empname, street, city)
Works(empname, companyname, salary)
And give an expression in SQL for the following queries;
(1) Find the names of all employees who work for First Bank Corporation.
(2) Find the names, street addresses, and cities of residence of all employees who work for First Bank Corporation and earn more than 200000 per annum.
(3) Find all employees in the database who live in the same cities as the companies for which they work.
(4) Find the names of all the employees who earn more than every employee of Small Bank Corporation. (4 X 2 = 8)
(ii) Discuss the strengths andweaknesses of the trigger mechanism. Compare triggers with other integrity constraints supported by SQL. (8)
(b) (i) What is normalization?Explain the various normalization techniques with suitable examples. (12)
(ii) Give the comparison between BCNF and 3NF. (4)
13. (a) (i) Describe the different types of file organization. Explain using a sketch of each of them with their advantages and disadvantages. (10)
(ii) Describe static hashing and dynamic hashing. (6)
(b) (i) Explain the index schemas used in database systems. (10)
(ii) How does a DBMS represent a relational query evaluation plan? Explain. (6)
14. (a) (i) With a relevant example discuss two phase locking. (6)
(iii) Give an example of a scenario where two phase locking leads to deadlock. (4)
(b) Why is recovery needed? Discuss any two recovery techniques. (16)
15. (a) (i) Discuss in detail about the object relational databases and its advantages. (8)
(b) (i) Give the basic structure of XML and its document schema. (8)
(ii) What are the two important classes of data mining problems? Explain about rule discovery using those classes. (8)
Evaluation of language model using Perplexity , How to apply the metric Perplexity? Perplexity is a measurement of how well a probabilit...
Advanced concepts in DBMS Advanced Database Topics (Click on the links to navigate) Advanced Concepts in D...
Query Processing in DBMS / Steps involved in Query Processing in DBMS / How is a query gets processed in a Database Management System? / Q...
Set of solved exercises in Normalization / Normalization Solved Examples / How to find candidate keys, and primary keys in database? /...