What is Distributed Database? / Types of Distributed Databases / Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Distributed Databases
What is Distributed Database?
- Identical software are used in all the sites
- All sites are well known.
- As they are similar in terms of DBMS software and hardware used
- Partial control over the data of other sites
- As we know the structure of databases, software and hardware used in other sites. Hence the partial control over the data is possible
- Looks like a single central database system
- Different sites uses different database software
- The structure of databases reside in different sites may be different (because of data partitions)
- Co-operation between sites are limited. That is, it is not easy to alter the structure of the database or any other software used